UPDATE: The deadline for the bingo has been extended to December 31!
Hello my hippest of friends! Hope you are all having a fabulous day. If so, it is about to get even more fabulous, for today I’m unveiling the Tarot Black Lives Matter book bingo, presented by The Tarot Sequence fandom. This is s reading challenge event running from July 6 to
December 6 December 31 aimed to help us discover, read, and support Black authors and their work.
Absolutely ZERO knowledge of The Tarot Sequence series is required in order to participate, as the event is meant to be, first and foremost, a celebration of Black voices within the book community. It’s a chance to show our love for Black authors, especially queer Black authors, and encourage each other to read more diversely and smartly, to read beyond the reaches of our comfort genres, and further educate ourselves on the subjects that are raised in these stories. And most importantly, to make that a habit, not just a one-off.
We have created a bingo card with each square corresponding to a tarot-specific prompt (the 22 Major Arcana, plus a few custom additions). After reading a book that fulfills said prompt, you can cross it out. For each filled square you will gain ONE (1) entry, with a bonus entry if the book is LGBTQ+, into a raffle for some incredible prizes detailed below. For each line of five squares in a row that is completed, you will gain an additional THREE (3) entries. By completing the entire grid, you’ll gain a bonus of SIX (6) entries. The overall number of squares you’ve filled out will count towards your ranking, which comes with a cool badge that you can show off for bragging rights.
You can go for as few or as many squares as you want, and you’re welcome to do update posts, TBRs posts, reviews, recommendation lists, and share on your blog and other social media using #TarotBLMBingo.
- Books must be written (or co-written) by Black authors.
- Unless specified, books can be fiction or non-fiction; prose, verse, or graphic novel.
- Only one square may be filled by a re-read, and each book can only be used once. Multiple books by the same author is perfectly okay!
- After each book, we highly encourage you to write a review (or draw or film–get creative!) and share on Goodreads, Amazon, and social media (please do NOT tag authors in negative reviews).
- Email your bingo cards to email@example.com, along with country of residence (for prize purposes) and, if you’re comfortable sharing, social media usernames (so that we know to tag you in winner announcement posts).
December 6 December 31 (11:59 PM PST)
For more info, please refer to the guidebook pdf attached at the end of the post, which will go into all the prompts, prizes, and more in detail.
Prizes (International + US)
All prizes, unless specified, are available for international participants. And you can, of course, opt out of the prize draw while still participating in the bingo.
- Grand Prize: A BIG special prize that will be revealed closer to the end date
- Three Winners: A book purchase up to $30 from a Black author (Book Depository or if in US, from a Black-owned bookstore)
- Two winners (US only): A copy of K.D. Edwards’ The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence 2)
- One Winner: A book sleeve
- One winner (US only): A mini book bundle containing a paperback of Check Please Vol. 2, Fragile Remedy bookmarks, and a small curated tea package
- One winner: An art commission of anything and anyone (with or without background) by artist @JakeShandy
- One winner: A podfic up to 10k words (any fandom, requires permission from fic author, preferably no NSFW). Offered by Sam @HeartS530. (Note: a podfic is a fanmade audio recording of a fanfic)
- One winner: A significant recurring cameo in Book 3 of K.D. Edwards’ The Tarot Sequence
5 SQUARES COMPLETE – Elemental
5 SQUARES COMPLETE – Dragon
10 SQUARES COMPLETE – Principality
15 SQUARES COMPLETE – Companion
20 SQUARES COMPLETE – Arcana
Relevant Files and Graphics
Drive Folder (containing all graphics, cards, guidebook): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17CVKuhTHw_kx9-PhWjvETb__TCpdT00n?usp=sharing
I hope you can find the time to join us! And if you have any questions you can leave them here below in the comments or contact me on Twitter @aildreda, or email directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy reading! ❤